port of linux code: linker does not find .a

Mirko phaccount@nycap.rr.com
Sat Jan 29 15:25:00 GMT 2005

Mirko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to compile a c code that has been developed on linux
> (monte-carlo plasma simulation).
>
> (Ahem, keep in mind that I am not a master programmer or linux user, so
> I may be going a bit over my head)
>
> The code consists of two utilities, xgrafix and xdp1.  xgrafix creates a
>  library that xpdp1 is supposed to link to.
>
> I managed to compile the xgrafix and generate the library (the makefile
> uses the ar command for that).  However, when trying to link xpdp1, the
> linker fails to recognize the xgrafix library, even though the path is
> correct or if I move the library to the working directory.
>
>  From browsing the cygwin mailing list I gleaned that I may in fact need
> to create a .dll and not an .a and that the linker is failing because it
> can link only with a dll.  Correct?So my question is three-fold:
>
> 1) am I supposed to create a dll instead of an a(rchive)
> 2) if so, should I use the instructions in the cygwin docs regarding the
> makings of a dll?  I ask that because in those instructions, we use gcc
> while in the original makefile, we used ar.
> 3) Is cygwin the right environment for this?  I like to have it on my
> pc, and would rather not have to learn to use mingw.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mirko

Well, half an hour after posting my question, I was poking at the mingw
site I found a link to a tutorial that mentined the -lXXX and libXXX.a
naming convention.  Sure enough, when I applied the correct naming
scheme the linker found the library.  I now have other issues and
questions, but I want to tinker a bit more before coming out more questions.

Mirko

--
*m*irko*vukovic*-at-nycap-rr-com