touch failing on network share

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Fri Jan 28 20:07:00 GMT 2005

Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 11:43:41AM -0700, Mark Paulus wrote:
>
>> I have a network share set up on my OS/2 box using HPFS. On that
>> share, I have directory: cygmanaged, and under that, I have
>> a directory tmp2.
>>
>> So, I can mount this directory as:
>>
>> mount --system --binary -omanaged z:/cygmanaged/tmp2 /tmp2, and it
>> looks like everything is fine.
>>
>> But, when I try to 'touch' any file/directory on that mount, I get
>> this error: touch: setting times of `cygwin-equivs/': Permission denied
>>
>> However, I can vi/edit/rm/mv or do just about anything else that I
>> want to the file. I just can't seem to do a touch on it.
>>
>> Does anyone have any insight into touch as to what it is doing that
>> might be causing the permissions problem?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I just tested this on the raw share (/cygdrive/z/foo) and it still
>> fails. So, it is not a managed mount problem/issue, but something deeper.
>
> I have observed a similar problem with a XP HOME mounting a remote
> Win98 drive. I traced it to SetFileTime failing, i.e. a MS issue.
> "strace touch xxx" will show you what happens.
>
> Pierre

This is interesting and sounds very familiar to a problem I had with
using Rational Clearcase. I would mount a snapshot view using Cygwin (I
forget its behavior on dynamic views) and touch would likewise fail WRT
setting times.

Seems to me that it's a file system issue as you were using an HPFS from
OS/2. Interestingly Clearcase uses a different file system to. I wonder,
that Win 98 drive is also a different file system (FAT). Could it be
that SetFileTime only works with NTFS? Is there another Windows call to
SetFileTime(s) on FAT and otherwise foreign file systems like HPFS
and/or vendor supplied file systems such as Clearcase's?
--
Young at heart. Slightly older in other places.