port of linux code: linker does not find .a

Mirko phaccount@nycap.rr.com
Fri Jan 28 01:18:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am trying to compile a c code that has been developed on linux
(monte-carlo plasma simulation).

(Ahem, keep in mind that I am not a master programmer or linux user, so
I may be going a bit over my head)

The code consists of two utilities, xgrafix and xdp1.  xgrafix creates a
  library that xpdp1 is supposed to link to.

I managed to compile the xgrafix and generate the library (the makefile
uses the ar command for that).  However, when trying to link xpdp1, the
linker fails to recognize the xgrafix library, even though the path is
correct or if I move the library to the working directory.

 From browsing the cygwin mailing list I gleaned that I may in fact need
to create a .dll and not an .a and that the linker is failing because it
can link only with a dll.  Correct?So my question is three-fold:

1) am I supposed to create a dll instead of an a(rchive)
2) if so, should I use the instructions in the cygwin docs regarding the
makings of a dll?  I ask that because in those instructions, we use gcc
while in the original makefile, we used ar.
3) Is cygwin the right environment for this?  I like to have it on my
pc, and would rather not have to learn to use mingw.

Thanks,

Mirko

--
m*irko*vukovic-at-nycap-rr-com