is there a (cygwin?) method delivering the current version of windows?

Chris Herborth cherborth@qnx.com
Mon Jan 24 18:34:00 GMT 2005

H. Henning Schmidt wrote:
> I am looking for a method available to my cygwin'ed C-program that
> delivers the current version of windows that my program is running on.
> E.g. "WinXp, SP1", or "Win98 ..." (... you get the idea ...) either in
> textual or numerically encoded form.
> Any hint is appreciated. Thanks,

You could probably dig it out of the registry, but 'uname -s' will give
you something useful.  On my XP Pro system, I get CYGWIN_NT-5.1 (XP is
"Windows NT 5.1"), for example.

--
Chris Herborth (cherborth@qnx.com)
Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.