bash not functional on laptop with wireless (VPN) connection

Browning, Jeff jeff.browning@netapp.com
Wed Jan 19 19:19:00 GMT 2005

All:

Yes, I am running the Cisco VPN client in addition to a wireless network
connection. So I just tested it with the wireless on, but the VPN off.
It works fine. Therefore, the problem is the VPN connection not the
wireless connection.

My Cisco VPN client is version 4.0.2. My Cygwin was downloaded
yesterday, so it should be fairly up-to-date. My bash shell reports
2.05b.

My question, then, is how to use Cygwin, including the X server, in
conjunction with my VPN connection.

Regards,
Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Igor Pechtchanski [mailto:pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 11:47 AM
To: Browning, Jeff
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: bash not functional on laptop with wireless

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Browning, Jeff wrote:
>
> > All:
> >
> > I have installed Cygwin Xfree on my T40 laptop and yesterday when in

> > the office over a normal wired ethernet connection, it was working
fine.

> > Today, I am working from home over a wireless connection, and Cygwin

> > has become completely non-functional. The bash shell shows nothing,
> > basically it's just dead. Running the startxwin.bat file from a
> > normal DOS window shows the usual start message. The X icon appears,

> > but will display nothing. Eventually, the X icon vanishes,
> > apparently a silent crash.
> >
> > Any clue what is going on here?
>
> The bash thing sounds like a general Cygwin problem, so you should
> take it to the main Cygwin list (redirecting and setting Reply-To:).
> Do you happen to run a VPN in addition to your wireless connection?
> Also, please review <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> to see how you
> can provide the relevant information about your system.

...and it bounced due to a keyword in the subject (presumably "XFree").
So I changed the subject.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT