What is rebase and why did I need to run it on a fresh re-install?

Francis Litterio franl@world.std.com
Thu Jan 13 20:28:00 GMT 2005

Jason Tishler wrote:

> Peter,
>
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 04:29:25AM +0100, Peter Valdemar M?rch wrote:
>> * What does rebase do?
>
> As its name implies, rebase rebases (i.e., changes) the base address of
> DLLs.  See the following for more details:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tools/tools/rebase.asp

Why on Earth are virtual addresses hardcoded into DLLs?  Do UNIX systems
do this for shared libraries?  I've never heard of such a thing under
UNIX.

Shouldn't the NT kernel's page tables allow DLL text and data sections
to be loaded at any virtual address without requiring a copy of the DLL
to be made (i.e., rebasing)?

Just curious.
--
Francis Litterio