What is rebase and why did I need to run it on a fresh re-install?

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Thu Jan 13 13:16:00 GMT 2005

Peter,

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 04:29:25AM +0100, Peter Valdemar M?rch wrote:
> * What does rebase do?

As its name implies, rebase rebases (i.e., changes) the base address of
DLLs.  See the following for more details:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tools/tools/rebase.asp

> * Why did I need to run it on my fresh cygwin install?

Read the README:

    /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rebase-2.3.README

> * Why does Larry Hall recommend to run it, when there is a prominent
> warning not to, unless I've "got a clue"?

Sorry for the poor wording.  The warning is for rebase -- not for
rebaseall.  IMO, rebaseall is safe to use.  FWIW, I frequently rebase
(via rebaseall) my entire Cygwin installation.

> * What did I do wrong when I upgraded my installation?

AFAICT, nothing.

Jason