newbie question about using gcc in cygwin

Emerson woailvzi@yahoo.com.cn
Fri Jan 7 14:34:00 GMT 2005

Hi all:
 I want to know how to compile a program in cygwin using gcc.
 Here is my instance:
             1>I install cygwin in c:/cygwin
             2>I wrote a piece of code named test.c in E:/prog/test/test.c.
              AND suppose the program just printf "hello".

             How can i compile and link my code using gcc ? Should i give
the absolute path of my program       (E:/prog/test/test.c.) when using gcc?
             And another problem is where the "hello " is printf? Is it in
the windows console or "cygwin console"(i don't know whether it is
appropriate name )?
              Thank you for your patience.