problems with overloading of the semantics of version number in cygwin/unison

Richard Lethin lethin@reservoir.com
Thu Jan 6 19:36:00 GMT 2005

Max Bowsher wrote:

> Richard Lethin wrote:
>
>> Max Bowsher wrote:

>>> No, this is nothing to do with cygwin, and everything to do with
>>> unnecessary inflexibility in the version checking of unison.
>>>
>>> It would be a very bad thing for Cygwin to distribute a version of
>>> unison which lies about which version it is to the other end of the
>>> connection.
>>

>> Sure, it's a bad design choice in unison, but cygwin is using the
>> version number in Unison - which means something about the protocol
>> version in unison - to mean something about the software release - which
>> operationally is not what unison really means.  The result is that
>> cygwin unison is broken.
>

> Unison itself uses the same version number for protocol of software
> release.
> That is a problem if you cannot obtain unison binaries for all machines
> you wish to synchronize between from a single source.
> Nothing in this problem is in any way cygwin specific.

Where does the version number 2.9.20-1 come from?

> Cygwin unison works without problems with other copies of cygwin unison,

and this is only marginally useful.

> and any other platform's unison of the same version.

Right, but who else uses the version number of 2.9.20-1?

--
Richard Lethin
Reservoir Labs, Inc.