"od" wrong line endings and byte count

Gerrit P. Haase gp@familiehaase.de
Mon Jan 3 01:18:00 GMT 2005

Brian Dessent wrote:

> David Christensen wrote:
>
>>cygwin:
>>
>>When I create a file using notepad:
>>
>>    This is a text file created with Notepad.
>>    It has DOS (CRLF) line endings.
>>
>>Look at it using "wc":
>>
>>        dpchrist@p42800e:~$ wc textfile.txt
>>              2      14      76 textfile.txt
>>
>>And then look at it with Cygwin "od", I see:
>

> There is nothing wrong here.  You installed cygwin with text mode
> mounts:
>
> C:\cygwin      /          system  textmode
> C:\cygwin/bin  /usr/bin   system  textmode
> C:\cygwin/lib  /usr/lib   system  textmode
> ..              /cygdrive  system  textmode,cygdrive
>
> This means that when a cygwin program reads a file with CRLF endings it
> is translated to LF line endings that all unix tools expect.  You want
> binary mounts if this is not what you desire.  See the FAQ for more
> info...

Hmm, I don't get it.

If I create a file with notepad, containing three readable bytes and a
linebreak and save this on a textmode mounted directory then I see this:

$ wc 123.txt
1 1 5 123.txt

$ od -c 123.txt
0000000   1   2   3  \r  \n
0000005

$ pwd
/perl

$ mount | grep /perl
H:\perl on /perl type system (textmode)

And I see the same result when moving the file to a binary mode mount:

$ wc 123.txt
1 1 5 123.txt

$ od -c 123.txt
0000000   1   2   3  \r  \n