ssh-agent and /tmp/ssh-* removal at logout

Karl M karlm30@hotmail.com
Wed Feb 23 23:04:00 GMT 2005

>From: Jim Kleckner
>Subject: Re: ssh-agent and /tmp/ssh-* removal at logout
>Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:20:08 -0800
>
>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>>On Feb 23 06:18, Jim Kleckner wrote:
>>
>>>ssh-agent leaves stale directories named /tmp/ssh-xxxx
>>>that contain the named pipe for authentication.
>>>These left over directories come about when you log out
>>>or shut down the computer without stopping ssh-agent
>>>either by running keychain to shut it down or sending it
>>>a SIGHUP to exit and clean up.
>>>
>>>Could ssh-agent catch the shutdown message and thus
>>>do the proper cleanup?  What would that entail?
>
>[snip]
>
>>But it's correct behaviour.  A forcefully killed process usually isn't
>>in the shape to make cleanup tasks.
>>

>>Corinna
>
>I guess a better way of phrasing my question would be:
>Many Windows applications receive a notification on logout or
>shutdown that allows them to take an action prior to being
>killed (including dialogs with the user).  Is there any practical
>way to use this for ssh-agent (or other cygwin processes)?
>For example, could the cygwin subsystem receive this notification
>and send a SIGHUP to the process?  I'm guessing that the
>answer is that it is not practical.
>
>Jim

ssh-agent does not need to be aware of this. keychain can handle it. I
currently trap the TERM signal in my keychain service and cleanly stop the
ssh-agent via keychain, so it no longer leaves the tmp folders around.

Thanks,

...Karl