Unable to delete a number of directories...

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Feb 17 16:31:00 GMT 2005

Evan Platt wrote:

> At 03:47 PM 2/16/2005, you wrote:
>
>> If your getting access denied then you're not the owner.
>
> Only one user on this system, and I'm the one who installed it...

So what's that supposed to mean. Just because you're the only "user" on
the system does not mean that there are not other users. The system user
for example. "Administrator". There are a few other, system level types
of accounts.

>> What do you see when you open an Explorer, right click on the Cygwin
>> folder, select Properties. Do you see a Security tab.
>
> Nope, I have General, Sharing, or Customize. General has the read-only
> tick. If I untick it, I get the access denied.

What do you see for Properties of the file instead of a folder.

> Under Sharing is Local sharing and security (disabled) and networking
> sharing and security (disabled). Customize has folder options and
> folder security. And I confirmed my account is computer administrator.

Yeah I know that XP Home has some brain dead dummied down stuff that
obscures what's really going on. I think there is something like turning
off "simple file sharing" or something like that. I don't have XP Home I
use XP Pro, for this and many other reasons...

>> If so go there then click Advanced, then Owner. Select your user and
>> that should recursively take ownership of the folder. Not certain on
>> XP Home if this is exactly the same but it's similar. You can check
>> it by OKing out of everything then going back to the Security tab. It
>> should list the user you selected there at least. Plus the Advanced:
>> Owner tab should show the new owner. At this point deletion should be
>> possible.
>
> This is XP home, which I don't believe has folder ownership?

Oh it does. It's just not showing you it.

(Even XP Home can support more than one user right? If so and Sue
creates a folder and John creates a folder then Sue would own her
folder  and John would own his - no?)

--
It is bad luck to be superstitious.