hyperthreading fix try #2

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan@iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 14 03:13:00 GMT 2005

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> To help preserve my tenuous grasp on sanity, please reply to *this
> thread* when reporting problems.  Please don't start a new thread.  Just
> reply here so that mailing list threading is preserved and I can easily
> check for all success or error reports.  As before, any kind of report
> is welcome but it is unlikely that I'm going to spend a lot of time
> debugging problems that I can't reproduce.

It looks somewhat promising here. My main use case is building Python from CVS,
and previously it tended to die somewhere in the autoconf script. With the
latest snapshot, ./configure and make both worked, and it made it at least part
of the way through the Python regression tests.

It made it through Python's test_subprocess.py which should be giving the pipe
handling a decent workout, but appears to have died in test_threadedtempfile.py
(the shell stops using any CPU time, which is rarely a good sign). The bash
shell also won't respond to any of Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Z or Ctrl-Break. The close
button works, but I figure Windows is taking care of that one.

This seems to happen even running that test from the bash shell with the
standard Cygwin python 2.4:

$ /usr/lib/python2.4/test/regrtest.py test_threadedtempfile
test_threadedtempfile
<hangs here until I close the window>

Using the windows Python 2.4, the test completes inside a couple of seconds:

C:\>\python24\Lib\test\regrtest.py test_threadedtempfile
test_threadedtempfile
1 test OK.

Of course, I don't actually know if this is a related problem or not. I'm hoping
Chris can check it easily, since it happens with the standard Cygwin Python, not
just with the version I built from Python's current CVS.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncoghlan@email.com   |   Brisbane, Australia