Memory for large arrays in cygwin/g77

Charles D. Russell worwor@bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 11 13:31:00 GMT 2005

Dante Chialvo wrote:

 > I have the same problem. I have g77, g95 and >grfortran (gfc)
installed (see below). With >heap_chunk_in_mb set to 1024, on a machine
with >1024 MiB RAM< I can run a simple Fortran >program with an array of
up to ~ 1023 MiB. With >g77 & gfc the limit is 156 MiB and beyond that
 >it fails with something like
 >

>  gfctest.exe (844): *** MapViewOfFileEx(0x224, in_h 0x224)
>  failed, Win32 error 6

I was using large fortran arrays with no trouble a year ago using the
-Wl,--stack option to enlarge the stack, but it is no longer working for
me.  Same machine, but with cygwin upgrades and with SP2 for the XP
pro.  Something has changed.

Switching to g95 is a poor option.  Both g95 and gfortran are currently
beta software, and it is gfortran that is destined to replace g77 in the
next version of gcc.

Besides, I have the same problem  in creating large arrays in C.  Again,
the -Wl,--stack switch that I used a year or two ago is no longer
working.  The problem is not just in fortran (though it is we fortran
users who want humongous arrays.)