hyperthreading fix, try #1

Rolf Campbell thats.unpossible@gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 19:02:00 GMT 2005

Volker Bandke wrote:

> Rolf,
>
> a)  	Your test case fails on my machine as well, right at the
> beginning
>
> b)	I seem to remember that there was/is a separate problem with "make
> - -j", even on non-hyperthreasd machines.  Unfortunately I cannot
> search the mailing list right now due to some error (that possibly
> has to do with cygwin.com's earlier breakdown.  I do remember a
> sentence somewhere like "We don't recommend that you use 'make -j' as
> it seems to be broken"
>
> c)	Running your testcase with '-j1' instead of '-j2' does not fail on
> my machine

Thanks for you info Volker.  Here's what I've figured out:

This test does fail (in the same way) on non-hyperthreaded machines
(Win2000Pro on a PIII).  But, this is a regression from 1.5.12 (that
test runs fine on the non-HT machine with 1.5.12.  There was (maybe
still is) a problem with running "make -j" without the max task counter,
but "make -j2" has always worked very well on non-ht machines.

I will try out some other snapshots and see if I can narrow down the
time when this showed up later today.

-Rolf