PerlTK under Windows

Thu Dec 15 03:56:00 GMT 2005

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
>
>> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>
>>> However I'd like PerlTk to fall back to using Windows widgets much
>>> like rxvt will do a Windows window if there is no X server to connect
>>> to.
>>

>> Just how rxvt manages to use both X11 and Win32GUI is unique, as has
>> been discussed before at length. Don't expect anything else X11 based
>> to do that on Cygwin.
>>
>> perl-Tk is X11-based because it *does not compile* on Cygwin for
>> Win32. PTC.
>>
>>> I know that this is doable because I'm using ccperl (a Perl from
>>> IBM/Rational that comes with it's Clearcase product). It would be
>>> super cool if this worked.
>>

>> How does this prove that it's possible?
>>
>>> Just think, one would be able to easily write GUI apps from Perl to
>>> run natively on Windows...
>>

>> If that's what you want, then it's already possible with ActivePerl,
>> which IIRC includes Tk OOTB.
>

> Now you're proving my point. It's clear that both ActivePerl and IBM
> Rational's ccperl (which is based off of ActiveState Perl BTW) can do it
> therefore that's the exact prove that it's possible - isn't it?

Almost anything is possible with the right amount of effort and know-how.
The point is that there is significant work to get this to work right in
the Cygwin environment.  The code isn't set up to handle both POSIXy/UNIXy
and Windows environments simultaneously.  Neither of the above two are
doing this.  Theirs are Windows ports only.

Holliston, MA 01746