encoding scripts (so that user can't see passwords easily)?

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Sun Dec 4 17:36:00 GMT 2005

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 12:20:57PM +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>I have a little open-source project, which eases Windows administration
>a bit.
>
>In some of the scripts, I use usernames and passwords (to get to a
>password-protected network share etc.).
>Because they are scripts, username and password is in plain.
>
>Although the script files are only readable by SYSTEM and
>Administrators, if a disk is stolen, someone could easily get the
>passwords by doing simple "grep -r password ./*".
>
>Do you know some tool which could "encode" scripts?
>
>One of such "similar" tools is Microsoft Script Encoder, but perhaps
>it's licensing wouldn't allow me to distribute it along with my files.
>
>That's actually how I discovered Cygwin - I had to replace srvany.exe,
>(which I couldn't distribute), and I found cygrunsrv :)

Just to be sure: you do realize that you can't distribute cygrunsrv
without also including the sources to cygrunsrv and cygwin1.dll
(assuming that you're including that file), right?  This is a GPL
project.
--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org
Cygwin Co-Project Leader				aaaspam@duffek.com