Call for testing Cygwin snapshot (problem with inode numbers)

Peter Rehley peter@rehley.net
Thu Dec 1 21:02:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

On the latest snapshot it seems that the inode calculation is
broken.  I noticed it in the current snapshot (20051130), but traced
it back to the 20051128 snapshot.  It only appears to be a problem
when I have a mac os x share mounted to a drive on windows.    When I
try with a windows share or a linux share I don't seem to have the
problem.

The problem that I'm seeing is that the inode value isn't unique when
listing a directory (or using any program that uses the inode value).

The inode that comes back from doing a ls -li is first much shorter
that a normal inode.  I've included lists from my share when using
the 20051123 snapshot and then they 20051128 snapshot.  The only
change that I've done between the two is update cygwin using the
cygwin-inst snapshot file.

I'm including test cases of listing (ls -li) using the 20051123
snapshot and the 20051128.  I'm also including an strace for the
20051128 sample.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Peter