Perl binmode problems when redirecting to text mounts

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sun Aug 21 17:03:00 GMT 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> I'm trying to make sure our perl program works with text mounts.  In the
> course of the testing, one weird problem cropped up: binmode seems to
> have no effect on STDOUT when redirecting to a file on a text mount.
>
> The following consistently reproduces the problem for me:
>
> $ mount -m | grep text
> mount -f -u -t "c:/cygwin/tmp/text" "/tmp/text"
> $ cd /tmp/text
> $ /usr/bin/perl -e 'binmode(STDOUT);print "\n"' > PT
> $ od -c PT
> 0000000  \r  \n
> 0000002
> $
>
> I've tried various combinations of ":raw", ":perlio", etc, both directly
> and through the PERLIO variable, with no success.  The strace output
> (available upon request) seems to show that the handle is successfully
> set to binary mode, but that the write still happens in text mode.
>
> Can anyone else reproduce this?  Is there a way I can force binary mode
> on STDOUT in Perl?

On second thought, this probably has to do with *how* Perl sets binmode on
STDOUT.  The shells (I tried ash, bash, tcsh) don't seem to honor it.

BTW, the code I used is the same as that in /usr/bin/GET.pl and
/usr/bin/piconv (both break in the same way on redirection to files on
text mounts).

I know the shells can honor the O_BINARY specifier on STDOUT, since "cat"
uses this (via setmode(1, O_BINARY)).  There must be something that Perl
is doing differently.  Any ideas?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/