Updating Cygwin without X

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sun Aug 21 05:39:00 GMT 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Dai Conrad wrote:

> Whenever I go to update my installation of Cygwin, setup prompts me to
> install all X-related things, including fontconfig, freeglut,
> freetype, libfontconfig, libfreetype, X-startup-scripts, xorg-X11-*,
> and xterm.  I'm not interested in installing these, and so every time
> I run setup I have to manually go through and deselect them all just
> to update gawk or somesuch.  Obviously, at some point I installed
> something (probably just a library that I thought I'd need someday but
> have never used) which Cygwin thinks requires X.

Yes, obviously.  However, since you haven't told us what you've installed
(by following the directions at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> and
attaching the output of "cygcheck -svr" on your system), we cannot tell
you what it is.

FWIW, most non-X libraries don't depend on X, and the X libraries are
usually clearly marked...

> I've tried uninstalling a few things I don't use, but so far no luck.
> How can I find out what it is that is causing this i.e., which item
> has this X dependency?

You can look in your local package cache directory and view setup.ini.
Then look at the "requires:" line for all the packages you've installed,
to see if they have any of the X packages you usually unselect.  That, at
the moment, is the only way.

FWIW, "xterm" is only "require:"d by "X-startup-scripts", and that, in
turn, is "require:"d by "xorg-x11-base".  So, I'd suggest looking first at
things that "require:" "xorg-x11-base".
HTH,
	Igor
--