g++ defines for win32

Angel Tsankov fn42551@fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Mon Aug 15 14:37:00 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pavel Tsekov" <ptsekov@gmx.net>
To: "Angel Tsankov" <fn42551@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: g++ defines for win32

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Angel Tsankov wrote:
>
>>  Here's the test case. Execute the run.bat file to perform the
>> test.
>> Hmm, it seams that I cannot send zip files as attachments. So you
>> may
>> download the test case from
>> http://debian.fmi.uni-sofia.bg/~angel/test_case.zip
>> and run run.bat to execute it.
>
> The description of `CPATH', `C_INCLUDE_PATH', `CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH'
> and `OBJC_INCLUDE_PATH' from the gcc info manual says:
>
> [...]
>      `CPATH' specifies a list of directories to be searched as if
>     specified with `-I', but after any paths given with `-I' options
>     on the command line.  This environment variable is used
> regardless
>     of which language is being preprocessed.
>
>     The remaining environment variables apply only when
> preprocessing
>     the particular language indicated.  Each specifies a list of
>     directories to be searched as if specified with `-isystem', but
>     after any paths given with `-isystem' options on the command
> line.
> [...]
>
> The cause of the warnings that you see is that by the time defs.h is
> parsed (last in the search path) some system header file already
> defined
> the symbols __cdecl, __stdcall and __fastcall. So what are you
> looking for
> is not `CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH' but `CPATH'. Obviously you also have to
> fix
> your include file to behave properly when __cdecl, __stdcall and
> __fastcall are already defined.
>
> --

I think I fixed my code. Thanks!

Now, I have the following notices to make.

The gcc manual also says:
[...]
CPATH
C_INCLUDE_PATH
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH
OBJC_INCLUDE_PATH
Each variable's value is a list of directories separated by a special
character, much like PATH, in which to look for header files. The
special character, PATH_SEPARATOR, is target-dependent and determined
at GCC build time. For Microsoft Windows-based targets it is a
semicolon, and for almost all other targets it is a colon.
[...]

As far as I can get this, it implies that the environment variables
mentioned there should contain semicolon separated folders. This is on
Microsoft Windows. And right on that platform I have to use colon
separated folders for these variables to work at all. I know that this
is might seem a little off-topic at first, but from my point of view
it is not - both problems relate to the CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH variable.

And finally, your suggestion about using CPATH instead of
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH just does NOT work You could check this yourself.

Besh wishes,
Angel Tsankov
fn42551@fmi.uni-sofia.bg