missing sh.exe in coreutils

Michael Schaap cygwin@mscha.org
Mon Aug 15 13:55:00 GMT 2005

On 15-Aug-2005 10:45, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Sigurd Nes wrote:
>

>> Is sh.exe missing from coreutils?
>>
>> I am not able to use sh after a upgrade - and sh-utils is listed as _obsolete
>>

> First, sh is not a part of coreutils nor its predecessor sh-utils.
> Until recently, /bin/sh has been ash, in the package 'ash'.  Now it is a
> copy of /bin/bash, from the package 'bash'.  The new bash postinstall
> script is supposed to make this change for you when upgrading, but
> because the shell itself is used to run the script it does not always
> work.  You can just manually run /etc/postinstall/00bash.sh.done and it
> should fix things.  Or re-run setup and set 'bash' to reinstall.

Apologies if I'm stating something obvious and well-known, but if the
problem is that a currently running sh.exe cannot be
deleted/overwritten, note that you *can* rename a running executable.
So something like
    rm -f /bin/sh0.exe
    [[ -f /bin/sh.exe ]] && mv /bin/sh.exe /bin/sh0.exe
    cp -fpuv /bin/bash.exe /bin/sh.exe
might do the job.

 - Michael