"Segmentation fault" CygWin tools with code Injection-MS Detours

Louis Lecaroz louis.lecaroz@club-internet.fr
Thu Aug 11 13:35:00 GMT 2005

Thank's you Eric for your quick answer...
But I have many questions for you...  :
Eric Blake wrote:

>And what's wrong with cygwin's strace tool?

Does the strace tool working with standard Win32 tools.  Because I need
a generic tool tracing file accesses on CygWin+Win32 native tools (not
only CygWin programs using cygwin.dll).
I tried or C:\cygwin\bin>strace --trace-children --mask=all --pid=5012
(5012 was the windows pid of a windows cmd.exe instance)
C:\cygwin\bin>strace --trace-children --mask=all cmd.exe
But At anytime, something was appearing in strace or in the log file (I
tried also with the --output but nothing !
I tried with ls.exe & strace works. So my (personal ;) ) conclusion, is
strace cannot track file accesses on all executables, only cygwin
executable :(

>>******************************* Example
>>C:\cygwin>cygwin
>>bash: [: =: unary operator expected
>>

>Hmm, you probably ought to fix your startup scripts to not cause an error.

I think this is due because bash execute at sometimes others instances
of bash (looking to my truss log file)

>>Looking to the truss debugging log we have :
>>******************************* Truss debugging log corresponding to the
>>

>WHOA!  Please don't include 300k of repetitive text inline.  If you think
>we really needed to see it, send it as an attachment.  But even then, you
>probably could have just summarized a relevant portion, rather than the
>entire dump.

Really sorry.... Let me apologize.

>>I am really ashamed not to be able to "truss" CygWin tools or standard
>>Win32 programs forked by Cygwin tools (like for exemple make spawning
>>bash).
>>

>Again, the strace tool already shipped with cygwin does just that.

Yes, ok, but so, how to trace cygwin+native Win32 program together ?