Programatically finding value of "cygdrive" prefix

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Thu Aug 11 11:52:00 GMT 2005

Ken Dibble wrote:

> Well, maybe my installation is hosed then.  I have installed for all
> users, but mount -m returns
>
> mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts"
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts"
> mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
> mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/lib" "/usr/lib"
> mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin" "/"
> mount -u -b --change-cygdrive-prefix "/cygdrive"
> mount -s -b --change-cygdrive-prefix "/"

It's not hosed, you just happen to have both flavors of cygdrive
prefix.  The user mounts always take precedence over the system-wide
ones.  If I were you I'd remove the user cygdrive (since all your other
mounts are system) with "umount -uc" and then change your system
cygdrive to the desired value, presumably "mount -c /cygdrive".

> mount -m | awk -F '"' '/--change-cygdrive-prefix/ { print $2 }'
>
> results in
>
> /cygdrive
> /
>
> so, I can see that the grep is not needed, but since there is more than
> one output line, tail, head or the like
> would be needed,  no?

Nope, use { print $2; exit } to print the first one and stop.  You could
modify the regexp to try to match -u or -s but that's a bad idea because
you don't know in advance which one(s) will be present.

Brian