scp/ssh between two cygwin installations very slow

Bernhard Ege bernhard@ege.cc
Mon Apr 25 19:45:00 GMT 2005

I am trying to copy an 800MB file from my pc to my laptop. The pc has
cygwin and cygwins sshd running and from the laptop I use the scp
command to copy the file.

Result: 190kB/s with low (1-5%) cpu usage on both machines.

Expected result: at least 2-3MBps with somewhat higher cpuusage on both
machines.

Now, both Cygwin setups are up to date and everything works without
error (as far as I can tell).

The network is 100mbps and using ncftp (downloading with cygwin ncftp on
laptop from Serv-U ftp server on pc) produces 6-7MBps(!).

So, for some reason ssh/sshd slows down the communication very much :-(

Any idea on how to speed up the communication?

Cygcheck from the pc (sshd end) has been attached. Please tell me if the
client side is needed.

Virus scanner has been disabled (didn't change anything) but that didn't
change anything.

Thanks,

Bernhard Ege