Building a common cygwin enviroment for network distribution

Jason Pearce jason.pearce@ieee.org
Fri Apr 15 13:46:00 GMT 2005

> I've looked around the Cygwin site for information on installation
> that doesn't use the supplied setup.exe, and I've found a lot of "you
> on your own" so I'm hoping to get some help here.  Thanks!

What so wrong with setup.exe?

I am doing a similar cygwin roll out at my work site and I use
setup.exe. It can be run with command line switches so that it does not
prompt the user and installs/updates automatically. Then you just define
you own custom package, add it to Base group and make it depend on all
the pacakges you want installed by default.
See http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/package-server.html

By staying with setup.exe your installation process will update as
Cygwin does.

Jason