cygwin on Mac: files in Virtual PC "shared folder"

Ashley Ward ashley@dcs.warwick.ac.uk
Thu Apr 14 12:22:00 GMT 2005

On 14 Apr 2005, at 12:02 pm, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Ashley Ward wrote:
>> Because of these issues, my preferred solution would be to use Shared
>> Folders -- if it worked, it'd be a lot simpler than Samba -- no
>> separate server and configuration to worry about.  I might try
>> following up the issue with MS VPC support in the newsgroup and then
>> possibly through their email or phone support (although it seems I
>> might have to give them a credit card number first! :<).
>
> I know that this doesn't really address your question at hand... but if
> I were in your situation I would look into just building a gcc/binutils
> cross compiler toolchain.  Then you could run the build natively under
> OS X, but produce win32 binaries.  You would still need VPC for testing
> the binaries (I presume) but OS X should have enough unix under the
> hood
> to host the build.

Thanks Brian -- yes, this was something I considered briefly a few
years ago.  Actually we build our software for Linux, Solaris,
Windows-cygwin and Mac OS X (using gcc on each platform), so a
cross-compiler on just one of these platforms would speed and simplify
things a lot once initially set up.

I was a bit confused about it, though -- can such a setup *link* a
final binary as well as compile?  Presumably then all the necessary
libraries from each platform need to be available on the build
platform?

Ashley.