cygwin (pipes?) VERY slow on Windows Server 2003 / AMD Athlon 64

Larry Hall lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com
Wed Apr 13 16:02:00 GMT 2005

At 06:52 AM 4/13/2005, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I've been trying to understand why startup and certain commands of my
>cygwin installation are very slow, and it seems to come down to the
>pipes. For instance, this command:
>
>$ time cat /etc/motd |cat
>Fanfare!!!
>You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
>
>real    0m9.744s
>user    0m0.000s
>sys     0m0.000s
>
>takes nearly 10 seconds! 'ls -l |sort' takes 9.76 seconds. Another contrast:
>sort /etc/profile: 0.019 seconds. cat /etc/profile: 0.020 seconds. cat
>/etc/profile | sort: 40.5 seconds!
>
>Does anyone have any clues as to what could be causing this? The cygwin
>I'm using is the latest installed from the mirror at ftp://ftp.is.co.za.
>Output of cygcheck -s -v -r attached.

Actually, you ran with Cygwin 1.5.13 for this test despite the fact that
you actually installed 1.5.14 via 'setup.exe' the last time you ran it.
But I expect that's of little consequence.  I could not reproduce the
problem on W2K Pro or XP Pro with either 1.5.13 or the latest snapshot
(4/12).  I don't see anything obviously wrong with your configuration
but there's something going on here.  Do you have a local copy of 'sort'
in your '/usr/local/bin'?

Holliston, MA 01746