zsh startup oddity

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Fri Apr 1 20:15:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Luke Kendall wrote:

> We found, on a release of Cygwin that's now probably almost a year old,
> that:
>
>    If the /home directory had been created by Cygwin mkdir, and
>    If the /etc/passwd shell specified shell to run was zsh,
>    Then /etc/passwd would not run $HOME/.zprofile
>
> (I.e. after starting a login zsh, you'd have to explicitly source
> ~/.zlogin or whatever).
>
> But /etc/passwd would source $HOME/.zprofile if /home had been created
> by Windows Explorer.

I am unable to reproduce this.  Are you using the zsh.bat file provided
or a custom startup bat file or just running the shell by itself?  Please
make sure you are using the '-l' option to force a login shell.  zsh has
greatly changed in a years time.  Please consider upgrading to a later
release.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>