"Broken pipe" warning from bash.

Errol Smith errol@ros.com.au
Tue Sep 28 14:27:00 GMT 2004

At 05:53 PM 28/09/2004, Bas van Gompel wrote:
>Following little (bash) shell-script many times causes a "Broken pipe"
>(SIGPIPE) warning to be emitted by bash. Is this expected behaviour?
>
>An example of the message:
>./tc-pipe.sh: line 5: 3541109 Broken pipe             seq 1 2
>
>The message is generated on the second pass through the loop.
>Changing ``a b'' to ``a b c d e'' below, often prints the message 4
>times.
>
>=== Begin tc-pipe.sh ===
>#!/bin/bash
>
>for t in a b; do
>  seq 1 2
>done | head -n 1
>
>==== End tc-pipe.sh ====

  I was going to say "use a recent snapshot because the 'Broken Pipe'
problems were fixed by the Gold-Star deserving Pierre"... BUT I tried your
testcase and it fails (intermittently) even with the latest snapshot
(20040928).
  Pierre's patch DID fix the broken pipe issues I reported so this might be
a different problem.

Errol