Cygwin-specific Libtool patches (Was Re: Is cygffi.dll needed for SableVM JVM?)

Dalibor Topic robilad@kaffe.org
Mon Sep 20 12:03:00 GMT 2004

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> It is as is for backward compatibility, new created DLLs don't need
> all the stuff with __declspec(import/export), however, some libs still
> use it and if you link against one which uses import/export
> definitions it may break things when using pass_all.   Then there are
> still some problems with exporting data, so it may also be needed to
> use import/export definitions with DLLs containing data, and then it
> would break too.  As long as you have libraries which don't use
> import/export definitions and since all code is PIC on Windows anyway,
> you may safely use pass_all.

I was wondering whether you know if there are pending patches from
Cygwin developers for GNU Libtool, as they are preparing Libtool 2.0, so
it would be nice to have those included, if possible :) The Libtool
upstream is very cooperative and responsive to patches in my experience.

cheers,
dalibor topic