can't start inetd as service

Steve Roth steve@rothskeller.net
Thu Sep 16 15:04:00 GMT 2004

Greetings,

I'm having difficulty using inetd under cygwin.  After installing it as
a service (apparently successfully), "net start inetd" shows this error:
    The service is not responding to the control function.
I have tried all of the suggestions I could find in the README and in
archived emails about this problem, to no avail.  In particular:
  - I have c:\cygwin\bin at the beginning of my system path.
  - I have set the CYGWIN environment variable in the system environment.
  - I have also set the ProgramOptions registry key for inetd.exe.

I have added some debug logging to inetd.c.  I find that none of its
functions are called when I run "net start inetd".  In particular,
service_main() is not.

My environment:
    Windows XP Home, 2002 SP1
    Version 1.5.11-1 of cygwin