login name changed

geneSmith gene.smith@sea.siemens.com
Wed Sep 15 23:07:00 GMT 2004

Larry Hall wrote, On 9/14/2004 10:10 PM:
> At 07:23 PM 9/14/2004, you wrote:
>
>>Due to administrative reason my login name changed from "gene" to "gene.us."  This also produced a new directory under "Documents and Setting" called "gene-us" which is my new default home directory for windows. However, cygwin never seems to get the message and when I start cygwin (via rxvt) it thinks my home is still in "gene."  How do I tell cygwin to use "gene.us" as my home?
>

> Same as always.  Run 'mkpasswd'.  See the docs:
>
> <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#MKPASSWD>
> 'man mkpasswd'
>
> and/or see '/etc/postinstall/base-files-profile.sh.done'.
>

> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

Thanks for the pointers.

For the record:

mkpasswd -d MYDOMAIN > /etc/passwd

produced thousands of entries. Weeded it down to just me since I am the
only relevant user. Also, in /etc/passwd had to change /home/gene.us to
/cyygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/gene.us for it to work right running
rxvt.

Rxvt also complained that I need to run mkgroup. So I did

mkgroup -d MYDOMAIN > /etc/group

This also produced thousands of entries but since I was not sure which
of the groups I am in, just left them all in /etc/group. Complaint about
mkgroup went away and rxvt starts with ok speed.

I assume this is all ok.

-gene
--
Lit up like Levy's