Problem with pthead.h - child's thread ending, causes main program to exit

Brian Ford ford@vss.fsi.com
Thu Oct 28 16:52:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, jdeifik wrote:
> Brian Ford wrote:
> >On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, jdeifik wrote:
> > > Using cygwin and windows xp sp2, when one thread reaches the end
> > > of execution, the entire program exits.
> >
> >And you know this is really what happens because...?
> >
> >Or, is it this bug?
> >
> >http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00257.html
>
> Doesn't seem likely, as I never call pthread_join.

You missed the point of that thread.  The bug has nothing to do with
pthread_join, but with the stdio handles being closed on pthread_exit.
Thus, if you are trying to deduce that the entire program exits because
you see no more stdio, you have reached an incorrect conclusion.

> >If so, then please try a snapshot:
> >
> >http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>
> The new cygwin1.dll fixed my problem.
> Everything seems fine now.

As I suspected above.

> > > I know others have problems with pthreads locking up main, but this seems
> > > different to me.
> >
> >You should quote a reference here as I am not aware of any such issue.
>
> there was a thread this week,
>
> From: Ben Lavender <blavender at gmail dot com>
> To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:43:49 +0200
> Subject: RE: problem with pthread.h - child thread's ending locks up main
> thread
>
> Since this was from oct 21, and my email was from oct 27, and I quoted
> the subject,  I didn't think I needed more context.

And the explanation for that issue was exactly the same as this one
(although maybe not entirely clear from this follow-up):

Thus, it has nothing to do with "pthreads locking up main" as you
suggested; just stdio being closed.

I'm not trying to be mean, even if it is Cygwin's mantra.  I'm just trying
to clarify.

HTH

--
Brian Ford