Cygwin finally croaked

George Hester hesterloli@hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 02:11:00 GMT 2004

"Larry Hall" <lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com> wrote in message news:6.1.0.6.0.20041024172159.041420c8@pop.prospeed.net...
> At 10:08 AM 10/24/2004, you wrote:
> >I installed cygwin version.  Not sure of the version but somtime at beginning of this year 2004.
> >
> >I never really use it except for the whois functionality.  A few days ago I noticed when I first double click on the icon on my Windows 2000 SP3 desktop the console comes up and disappears.  I have to double-click again and it comes up stays and I can do the whois.
> >
> >Then sometimes the console does not receive keyboard input.  I shake my desktop around a little bit spit left roll my eyes and it starts to receive input and I can logout.
> >
> >Is there a shelflife to Cygwin?  Seems so here.

<snip>

> On a more serious note, if any of the above behavior really does help in
> some way, I suspect a hardware problem.  But if you feel that the problem
> is with your Cygwin installation, I'd recommend reviewing:
>
> >Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>

> A clear problem report might help someone on this list help you figure out
> what's wrong with your installation.
>

> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

Ok I'll try to be a little clearer.  Recently when I double-click on the Cygwin icon on my Windows 2000 SP3 desktop the Cygwin console will come up then immediately disappear.  If I double-click it again it comes up and stays and I can do stuff with it.  Like whois which is all I ever do with it.

After the whois I am noticing that the console stops receiving keyboard input.  I click the title bar minimize other open windows and it starts to receive keyboard input again.  And I can do ctrl-D which is what I want to do after whois.  Namely I want to logout.  This is the ONLY application I have installed in Windows 2000 that does this.  The ONLY one.

If you need any more information other than what I provided that you think might help to trouble-shoot this issue please let me know what you suggest or need?  Thanks.

--
George Hester