SableVM & Cygwin (was: Re: sablevm + windows)

Gerrit P. Haase gp@familiehaase.de
Sat Oct 16 18:06:00 GMT 2004

Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:

>>Ready compiled SableVM binary and source package:
>>http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/cygwin-1.5/sablevm/
>>
>>The source package includes also the patch and uses a statically libffi,
>>so it doesn't need a FFI DLL.  Could you verify that this SableVM works
>>as expected, please?
>

> *2*MB diff that puts libffi in SableVM? Ouch!

> I took a quick look at the non-libffi part of your patche.  In general
> our approach is to integrate all reasonable changes required
> by ports, so that SableVM worked on them out-of-the-box.  (2MB patch
> hardly qualifies as reasonable, at least at the first sight)

Hey, all changes I really needed to make are reasonable.  The huge size
is because I regenerated configure and Makkefile.in and so on, at least
1000kb alone is configure, I include always the full changes after
running autoreconf --ionstall --force --verbose

> Would it be possible to separate the changes you really had to do to
> SableVM (and SableVM Classpath - on which changes I haven't looked yet)
> from the rest, so that we could see clearly what the changes were?

Yes, I'll try to figure out how to do s.th. weird like this, not
counting the libffi stuff, the only relevant change for needed SableVM
is a 1k patch.  SableVM-Classpath is a little larger, timezone needs a
cast and the -no-undefined LDFLAGS for the native libraries are missing.

I have the *full* minimal patches attached, including the Makefile.am
and configure.ac changes for libffi integration, but without the libffi
subdirectory.

However, the patches are against 1.1.6 and may not apply against the
latest snapshots.

> Such cleaned-up diffs would really be very helpful.  Given the amount
> of great work you put in porting SableVM to Cygwin - why not have an
> out-of-the box support for Cygwin in the official SableVM?  This is
> somethings that surely "belongs" to SableVM proper.

No, I did nothing, all the work was done by Peter.  The documents
available and the communication.  I have the libffi sources handy.
The only changes I made were to add some lines in configure.in,
Makefile.am and some lines in the source, so libffi sourcetree could be
a subdirectory of sablevm and everything compiles, and I removed all
from libffi Makefile.in & configure.in so it was possible to run
autoreconf on the whole tree.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=