Setup failure: mount error

Luke Kendall luke@research.canon.com.au
Fri Oct 15 08:19:00 GMT 2004

luke wrote:

> All this happened on a PC with no OS installed until I installed W2K.
> The purpose was to test Cygwin.
>
> So the very next thing (the only thing) I did was (try to) install
> Cygwin.
>
> But thinking about it last night, there was one other difference: I
> created a file c:\cyg.bat that simply set PATH to include the directory
> where I keep various helper Cygwin scripts (like the .bat to drive the
> install via setup).
>
> Perhaps that somehow got run by setup or by one of the post-install
> scripts instead of some (internal) Cygwin command called "cyg"?
>
> I can test both theories by trying to reproduce the problem.

Having c:\cyg.bat didn't make any difference - it still installed fine.

I've just removed Cygwin again, except for two files - cygwin1.dll and
bash.exe, since trying to remove them gave the error "access is denied".
(This is after checking that no bash process was running, via the
Task\Manager; and no Cygwin services were running.)  Oh, and and of
course c:\cygwin and c:\cygwin\bin directories.

"Odd," I thought, and rebooted and deleted them following the reboot.

Anyway, the final experiment I can try now is to run "mount" from the
network install, and see it it makes Cygwin uninstallable again, without
a Windows reinstall.

luke