Setup failure: mount error

luke luke@research.canon.com.au
Fri Oct 15 00:27:00 GMT 2004

Dave Korn replied to:

>>Basically, that worked.  It appears that Cygwin made some change that
>>persisted even after deleting all the Cygwin files and registry entries.
>

>   ?!?!?!?  This seems highly improbable.  What else _could_ there be?  Maybe
> something different in the environment vars between the two machines was
> causing it?  Maybe some different software that was installed on the failing
> machine was causing dll hell or something?
>
>   Ever heard of InCtrl5?  Dead useful app, see if you can find a download of
> it on the web somewhere.  Could be very useful if a situation like this ever
> arises again: it takes a snapshot of your entire system (files and
> registry), then you run an installer, then you run InCtrl5 again and it
> takes another snapshot and compares the two, so you can see exactly all the
> changes that an installer has made to your system.
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK

All this happened on a PC with no OS installed until I installed W2K.
The purpose was to test Cygwin.

So the very next thing (the only thing) I did was (try to) install
Cygwin.

But thinking about it last night, there was one other difference: I
created a file c:\cyg.bat that simply set PATH to include the directory
where I keep various helper Cygwin scripts (like the .bat to drive the
install via setup).

Perhaps that somehow got run by setup or by one of the post-install
scripts instead of some (internal) Cygwin command called "cyg"?

I can test both theories by trying to reproduce the problem.

luke