Setup failure: mount error

luke luke@research.canon.com.au
Wed Oct 13 07:31:00 GMT 2004

Dave Korn wrote:
> [...]

Well, I did a search on the registry.  But you're quite right: a 2nd
entry was there.  (The registry "find" doesn't work unless you have the
HKCU or HKLM root key open for the tree the key appears in.)

Thanks, Dave.

But it hasn't helped.  :-(

 >>I just tried again, except not deleting the download directory, and
 >>this time it checks the md5 signatures, shows that it had
 >>just finished
 >>checking MD5 for _update-info-dir-00230-1, the alert panel with the
 >>window-title of "mount" pops up and says:
 >>
 >>"Cannot create a file when that file exists." (Okay).
 >>
 >>and setup then exits.

BTW, that information I gave was incorrect.  When I left the files in
the temp download directory, the error message from the mount alert
window was different.  It said "The operation completed successfully."

This is at the 99% Cygwin Setup stage, Downloading.  Progress bars look
to be about 80% for "Progress:", 99 or 100% for "Total:", and about 5%
for "Disk:".

 >>I should also add that I've tried a reboot in between.
 >

 >   Well, what went wrong in the first place was presumably a dll-clash
 > between the two cygwin dlls, which had the consequence of messing up
_all_
 > of the postinstall scripts that setup.exe usually runs to take care of
 > creating some very vital parts of infrastructure.  Although the old
cygwin
 > dll has now gone, what you were left with was a *very* damaged
fragmentary
 > cygwin install.  But as long as you've correctly deleted all trace of it,
 > you should have no subsequent trouble.  That means removing the cygwin
 > install dir, the setup downloaded files dir, and _both_ registry keys.

That's what I thought.  My problem was in trusting the Registry's search
command.

Unfortunately, it's still failing.

Are there any other places in the registry that Cygwin data is kept?

Right now I'll try again, this time deleting both known keys, deleting
all the download files, deleting the 300kb of installed Cygwin files,
rebooting, and starting again.

luke

PS: I'm sending this from Thunderbird, so I hope the fullname is adequate.