other services ok, ftp not (was 1.5.11 - tcp problems)

Carlo Florendo list-subscriber@hq.astra.ph
Wed Oct 13 05:15:00 GMT 2004

Hello Brian,

Brian Dessent wrote:

>Carlo Florendo wrote:
>

>>Thank you so much for your comments!    However, updating the relevant
>>directories to have +x, and updating all the relevant files to have +rx
>>still didn't solve the issue.  I've tried to track down the problem via
>>the source code of inetutils-1.3.2-28 and it seems the actual error
>>message is produced by the following code:
>>

>I can't tell from your message but since your prompts contain the
>username 'SYSTEM' I am assuming that you're testing this from a sysbash
>prompt in the context of something that's being run from a service, CGI,
>cronjob, etc... If that's the case then it sounds awfully like the
>problem of SYSTEMROOT being removed from the environment.  Check that
>this variable is set for the process that is trying to run ftp.  There's
>lots of recent threads about it in the archives if you need more
>background.

You really have a keen eye!  However, the string "SYSTEM" doesn't have
anything to do with the problem since I just
set the PS1 environment variable to "SYSTEM" since I don't want it
printing my name.

My PS1 is set to:  PS1="SYSTEM \w\n$ "

And of course, if I change PS1 to the cygwin default (as shown below),
ftp still won't work.

SYSTEM /
$ export   PS1='\[\033]0;\w\007
 > \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]