Weird bug with cp -f [solution that works for me]

Dave Miles stack@freenet.co.uk
Tue Oct 5 15:05:00 GMT 2004

"Brian Dessent" <brian@dessent.net> wrote in message news:4162B3E8.A3E4E9B@dessent.net...
> Dave Miles wrote:
>
> > > Since re-starting the system and repeating the copy on drive O: (the
> > > newly created NTFS partition that 'cp' worked in) the "magically created
> > > directory" now appears when using 'cp'.
> >
> > So I tried to re-format it and was denied. On investigation
> > it turned out that Norton System Works had protection enabled
> > on this drive. I disabled it and 'cp' now works again. Also
> > if you check the exclusions on a drive that Norton is
> > protecting you'll see that '\temp' is excluded.
> >
> > So for me at least disabling Norton Protection on a folder
> > or drive that I intend to use Cygwin on is the way to go.
>
> Thanks for the resolution, for the archives' sake.
>
> The moral of the story is "Expect illogical issues to crop up if you run
> invasive programs that install low-level hooks all throughout various
> system APIs."
>
> Brian

Agreed!

Although I'm pretty sure that prior releases of Cygwin have
co-existed with Mr Norton quite happily.

Did the original poster have Norton enabled?

Anyone else care to comment?

Cheerio,

Dave Miles