bugs in autotools wrapper scripts

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Sun Nov 21 12:15:00 GMT 2004

Charles Wilson schrieb:
> Eric Blake wrote:
>> The autotools wrappers (automake 1.7.9-1, autoconf 2.59-1, and libtool
>> 1.5b-1) all have argument parsing bugs.  They are trying to parse every
>> option known to either <autotool>-stable or <autotool>-devel, but fail in
>> several respects.

> I've been thinking for a long time of ditching the current wrappers and
> using something more like the linux distros do -- and sacrificing the
> <stdin> behavior, just like they do.
>
> So here's the question: does anybody actually USE <stdin> with the
> autotools?  Does ANYBODY do '<some prog that generates a configure.ac on
> stdout> | autoconf' ?

nope. never saw such a usage so far.

but I use a better wrapper which doesn't seperate into stable/devel.
I seperate into the wanted versions for aclocal/automake/libtool.
autoconf is ok the current way.

   aclocal-1.7, aclocal-1.8, aclocal-1.9
   aclocal-lt-1.5.10, aclocal-lt-1.5.6, aclocal-1.9d (libtool versions)
   automake-1.8, automake-1.9
   libtool-1.5.6, libtool-1.5.10, libtool-1.9d

older versions not yet. (automake-1.4, automake-1.7.9, aclocal-1.4)

but this is just a private hack and not for general consumption.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/