cygwin sshd will not run under McAfee VirusScan 8.0i

Rob S.i.k.l.o.s rob2@siklos.ca
Fri Nov 19 18:12:00 GMT 2004

Hi All

After upgrading from VirusScan 7.1 to 8.0i I receive the following error
every time a connection is established to CYGWIN's SSHD server. The client
connection then immediately fails. If VirusScan is disabled everything works
fine. The SSHD server also worked fine under VirusScan 7.1.

As a workaround, I've hacked the ssh-host-config file to add "-y McShield"
to the "cygrunsrv -I" command.  However, there's a problem somewhere.

Should we:
    a) treat this as a McAfee bug and just let people search the mailing
list archives until McAfee decides to fix it;
    b) treat it as a McAfee bug and automatically add "-y McShield" in
ssh-host-config if that service exists; or
    c) investigate it as a possibly cygwin sshd bug;
?

Cheers,

Rob.

Note: parts of this e-mail were blatantly ripped off of
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=30980