Perl-tk?

Bruce Dobrin dobrin@imageworks.com
Thu Nov 18 19:19:00 GMT 2004

I've been using the tk800 native windows functionality for years with
cygwin.  You just have to recompile/install with each perl change. If I
remember correctly, with the most recent cygwin/perl/tk800.024, I
haven't even had to patch it.  The big headache is that you need to play
games with rebase to get IO and Menubutton to work correctly.

-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf
Of Charles Plager
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 5:39 AM
To: Cygwin Mailing list
Subject: Re: Perl-tk?

> Brian Dessent schrieb:
>
>>     dwycoff wrote:
>>
>> I tried using a perl-tk script in cygwin that I wrote more than a
>> year ago.  Whenever I run it it dies at:
>>

>>         Can't locate Tk.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/lib/perl5/5...

>> I did a search and couldn't find Tk.pm.  So I looked to the cygwin
>> website, but didn't find any mention of it there, either.
>>

>>         Has perl-tk made it to cygwin?
>>

> nope.
>
> Perl modules are installed from CPAN, not through Cygwin setup (with
> the exception of libwin32 which does not compile without patches.)
> Have you tried installing the module with CPAN?
>

> Tk is also known not to work OOTB.

I have successfully built perl Tk 800.024 (with Gerrit's help) for X
windows.
I haven't tried later versions of Tk or the windows native version.

(Gerrit says this is no longer necessary with perl-5.8.5 for Cygwin, but
haven't verified this)

0) Get a copy of Tk-800.024.tar.gz from the web
1) cd /usr/X11R6/lib
2) ln -s libX11.dll.a libX11.a
3) cd ~/mybuildarea
4) tar xzf Tk-800.024.tar.gz