howto register process

Dave Korn dk@artimi.com
Thu Nov 11 18:47:00 GMT 2004

  Does your username have sufficient privileges to kill processes belonging to
whichever user (perhaps SYSTEM, eh?) that the server is running as?  It might be
a slightly bogus error message from kill, when really it should have indicated
"access denied".

  BTW, kill() doesn't return a const char *.  I take it you're referring to the
value in errno after the call, and the error message that perror () generates
from that?  Or are you referring to the utility program /bin/kill?

    cheers,
      DaveK