rlogind vs. smb

Yuval Kogman yuval@hyperroll.com
Thu Nov 11 09:57:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 11:02:40AM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > 1. does anybody know why rlogind doesn't like SMB shares?
>
> <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SWITCH>, or see
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README

I think this is my problem... It sure sounds like it

Arguably it's not a good idea to create a user that has the create process
level token privilige, as which the inetd service will run, so that it can
setuid /AND/ access shares...

I think i'll just keep local copies of .rhosts as part of the installation
procedure... *sigh*

> Should be in /var/log/inetd.log or the Windows Event Log (Application).

/var/log/inetd.log contains spawn info for the rlogind process, but not much
more... As for the event log, it contains somewhat sparse info.

Maybe this is a configuration problem? Should all syslogish output really be
directed to the event log? (not that rlogin is very helpful in it's logging...
=P)

> If by "promiscuous" you mean "persistent", go to the Service Control
> Manager and set Startup Type for the "inetd" service to "Automatic".

promiscuous mode, in pam's rlogin auth lib, means that the '+' wild cards are
OK. By default, on most distributions, unless the word 'promiscuous' is in one
of it's options, these pluses are disregarded.

I haven't reached the stage where i've figured out whether this is really required or not... ;-)

--
Yuval Kogman, Sysadmin
HyperRoll Israel, Ltd.