What to do when setup fails?

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Thu Nov 11 08:59:00 GMT 2004

Luke Kendall schrieb:
> On 11 Nov, luke wrote:
>> By the time it had crashed with the above panel, Task Manager was
>> showing setup of using only 10MB of memory.  Yet as soon as I clicked
>> on OK for the runtime error, the pages were very quickly handed back to
>> the system and it returned to about 100MB of memory in use (no page
>> faults).  So it sounds like setup.exe was the culprit.
>>
>> This is an old version of setup.  I notice that my post-install stuff
>> detected the problem of a failed install (symptom: missing /etc/profile
>> file).  The sanest thing to do will be to reboot, and try installing a
>> much more recent Cygwin.
>>
>> If that fails, I'll scrub the installed files and reg keys, and try
>> again.

> Hmm, using a mirror that's a few days old shows similar behaviour.
> This time though it's saying it's installing zip-2.3-6 - all the other
> details seem the same.
>
> I watched in task manager as setup's memory use climbed from 50MB to
> 127MB over a period of a few minutes.  When next I looked nothing had
> visibly changed, except task manager reckoned setup was now using only
> 12MB (again climbing steadily upwards at about 5MB per minute), even as
> the Performance task manager view showed system memory use had climbed
> to 880MB (and still climbing).

Looks like it crawls your local-package-dir tree (aka "Select download
directory") to look for all available setup.ini's and tar.bz2 packages.
You should really check your /var/log/setup.log.full what's going on and
not only taskman, to see that's something going on.

You really should provide a meaningful local-package-dir otherwise it
will crawl your entire root, which could last 30 mins if it's cygfile:///
But maybe there's an undetected recursive loop possibility somewhere.
Have to investigate. (Note: the fromcwd() step)

Do you have junctions, directory hardlinks under your local-package-dir?

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/