remote usage of cygwin via microsoft telnet services

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Wed Nov 10 21:35:00 GMT 2004

"Rearick, Gabriele" wrote:

> I am looking for a solution to un-screwup bash via Microsoft windows telnet server or other products.

Don't use telnet.  Use ssh.  Cygwin's sshd is fully functional.  If you
must use telnet then use Cygwin's inetd.

> Locally (sitting directly at the Windows2003 server) I can either start normal bash shell or start rxvt, but that window doesn't get thru
> to my other PC (at home or work).

If you want to use X apps remotely you need to be running an X server on
the remote machine and have your DISPLAY environment variable set.  The
latter is taken care of for you if you use ssh with the -X option.  Go
read any faq about X Windows.  And this applies to X apps only, not
native windows apps.

Brian