Cron malfunction after date change

Harig, Mark maharig@idirect.net
Mon Nov 8 16:31:00 GMT 2004

> >>cron.log, crontab.txt and cygcheck.txt attached.  Stopping
> and starting
> >>cron is workaround that does resume correct cron behaviour, up until
> >>next date change.  I've been able to reproduce this
> >>(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-11/msg00153.html) problem also on
> >>WinXP with slightly older cygwin1.dll version:
> >>1.5.11-snapshot-20040720-12:03:09.
> >>

> >I concur.  It appears to be a bug in cron, or Cygwin's
> version of cron.
>
> Can anyone point to some documentation which states that cron is
> supposed to gracefully handle date changes?  Personally, I've always
> restarted cron after a date change since I've noticed
> behavior like this
> on linux in the past.  If that has been fixed, however, that
> would be an
> interesting data point for linux (off-topic) and cygwin (on-topic).

The original problem ("cron is not running over the course of a
24-hour date change") is not a Cygwin-specific problem, i.e., Cygwin's
cron appears to work when asked to perform a task once a day at a
specified time.  I wrote a simple cron table entry

   1 1 * * * /usr/bin/date >> /tmp/date.txt

'cron' ran this task for me for the past three days without errors
or intervention.

I do not know whether the secondary problem ("cron fails to run
without a restart if there has been a date change outside of the
normal clock") is cron specific or Cygwin specific.

---