Problem with installing crontab on Cygwin(1.5.11/1005.11.0.0)/WinXP SP2

Harig, Mark maharig@idirect.net
Wed Nov 3 14:58:00 GMT 2004

> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:24:37 -0500, Pierre A. Humblet
> <pierre.humblet@ieee.org> wrote:
> >
> > crontab chowns the crontab file group to 18. Make sure that gid 18
> > is in /etc/group. Also I find it hard to believe that the strace you
> > got gives no useful information.
>
> This did it. Group 18 (SYSTEM) was not in /etc/group; instead,
> /etc/group only contained domain groups, not local groups. I ran
> 'mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group' to recreate the file.

This is strange.  The cron diagnostic script makes two checks for
this problem already.  In the first test, it checks to see that the
cron table has group ownership set to 'SYSTEM', and in the second
test, it checks to see that the cron table's group owner ID number
is '18'.  It assumes that 'id -un' reports your user name and that
your cron table is /var/cron/tabs/[user name].

---